Thursday, March 30, 2017

Applying a large binding to a quilt

Normally, I apply a 2 1/2 inch binding to my quilts but I wanted a larger binding on my goat quilt. So, I cut a three inch binding and realizing it wouldn't be "full" I cut a one inch strip of Hobbs Thermore batting to fill it with. However, this necessitated me applying the binding in different way because using the mitering method wouldn't work. So, I applied the top first, then the bottom making the binding even with the edges of the quilt. Next, I applied the side bindings and used extra length so I could fold it over so the edges were contained. 



Tuesday, March 14, 2017

After several days of trying to quilt the sky in my Girly Girl Goat I finally got it right. For those of you who think "Professional quilt artists" never screw up, I'm here to tell you - WE DO.....Or, at least I Do! 

I was stitching along, thinking everything was hunky dory, only to discover the back of my quilt looked  a mess. Everything was fine at first and then it all went to hell! So, I started down the list of things that I recommend to my students:

  1.  I pulled out all the quilting stitches which is a pain in the you know what!
  2. I cleaned out my bobbin casing area, getting rid of all the lint and threads, etc.
  3. I oiled my machine
  4. I adjusted the top tension on my machine
  5. I adjusted the bottom tension on my machine
  6. I put in a fresh needle
  7. I used a heavier weight thread in the bobbin
  8.  I adjusted the top tension again
  9.  I adjusted the bottom tension again
  10.  I tested on a like sample and everything looked fine but it was just an illusion!
  1.  I reversed sewed (I pulled out the quilting stitches again)
  2. FINALLY, a light bulb went on! Maybe the type of sewing machine needle I was using was the culprit!
  3. I took out the Metafil needle
  4. I replaced it with a top-stitch needle and Voila, IT WORKED! 
It's really difficult to keep your quilting lines horizontal WHEN QUILTING SKIES,  so her's what I do:
Using your ruler, mark chalk lines in two inch intervals. In this case, I used a white chalk marker because it blends in with my sky fabric. If you just eyeball it, it's easy to get off track!

Now, I'm off to continue rewriting my quilting genre novel and finishing up the quilting on my girly goat!

Monday, March 6, 2017

Girly Goat, etc.

As you can see, my Girly Goat quilt is coming along but alas, still not done. I've quilted the bottom in swirls and will be moving on to the sky in a day or two. I've been working steadily with my new Web Master, Holly Knott to redo my web site. My son, Shawn, spent an entire day with me rephotographing old quilts and photographing new quilts using his amazing camera. The high resolution photographs will be clear and sharp. I've also written new text for my site and we are reorganizing pretty much the whole site. It's been hard work, but will be well worth the effort.

In the meantime, my focus has been primarily on rewriting my quilting genre novel with a new plot or focus. It's been going well and I think the final result will be one quilters enjoy. I've been a bit of a recluse lately, as a result but that's O.K. We've had such cold weather here I haven't really wanted to go out much anyway. Today, we had snow on the roofs and grass again but now it's melted. Our high in Kent, WA, will be a cool 42 degrees!

That's it for today. Happy quilting to each of you.
Until next time,